Monday, January 21, 2013

Growing up too fast

This weekend was an eye-opener for me as I watched my girls transform from the little girls I know and love to something I can't quite identify. I think society would term it tweenhood, but for me, it was a glimpse down the road ahead, mixed in with a trek down memory lane.

For the last two years, Ellie and Katelyn have been begging to get their ears pierced. I got mine pierced at 6, so I had always thought it was a mini rite of passage. For Alan, 13 was the arbitrary date. I think he equates wearing earrings to boys, dating, womanhood. However, after much persistence from the girls (and a little from me) he caved and as an incentive for Katelyn to stop sucking her thumb, we were going to let them get their ears pierced. Try as she may, Katelyn can't seem to make it past two weeks. I think in an effort to reduce her own stress about it, she announced Friday that she was waiting until next year and going with a friend. And in an act of I'm not sure what for her sister, she decided Friday was the night for Ellie to get hers pierced as long as she got to pick the earrings out.

So on Friday night, Ellie sat bravely at Claire's and had peace earrings shot on her ears.
 Before the ear piercing
 We loved our piercing lady. She was so gentle and sweet to Ellie.
 Post ears pierced



I think Alan was right about the transformation that occurred because our next stop was to Justice to spend some Christmas gift cards. Here is where  pre-puberty seemed to cry out. First was the shopping frenzy as they each tried to maximize their money. For my family who has never been to Justice, it is a mini-heaven for the tweenyboppers. Lots of flashy neon clothes with jewels, sparkles and glitter. Not to mention the nail polish and accessories. I am thankful that Ellie still gravitated towards the stuffed animals. However, my sweet Katelyn seemed to overnight catch the One Direction flu, and I mean she got it bad. After touring the store for about an hour, all of her purchases kept coming back to the One Direction wall. We ended up leaving with two posters, a key chain, t-shirt and CD. Apparently, she loves, loves, loves Niall. Now to show my uncoolness, I didn't even know who he was. So our drive home consisted of Kiss You blaring from my car, followed by posters plastered to her wall.





I keep thinking back to my own awakening to tweenhood and my walls plastered with Teen Beat magazine pictures. Does anybody remember Cory Haim and Cory Feldman? Enough said.

So as I venture into this new phase of our lives, navigating the road to full-fledged teen, I am thankful for each moment as I get to walk through life with these two girls as they grow into the women they are meant to be. From the looks of Friday night, it promises to be a fun ride.

No comments: