Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cape Cod Vacation

In July, we were blessed to be able to go to Cape Cod and stay in a house with my inlaws. I think Cape Cod is one of my favorite vacation spots. The place is beautiful and you have a great time without anything spectacular scheduled. Their Shining Sea Bike Path runs 10 miles along the water and down to Woods Hole. We rented bikes for the week with Owen in a trailer and Ellie in a tagalong. I was especially proud of Katelyn who rode her own bike. She was initially apprehensive, but it quickly wore off as she tried to keep up with her older cousin, Rebecca. We took one day and biked the 6.5 miles to Woods Hole. It is  beautiful site and quaint town area. Owen liked the seals at the aquarium.

One day, we took a ferry trip over to Martha's Vineyard and strolled along the town. The kids took a dip in the ocean and enjoyed looking at the gingerbread houses. The highlight of the day was the three cousins (Katelyn, Ellie and Rebecca) and me getting feathers in our hair. They had asked for weeks for them and I finally caved. Unfortunately, they have to take them out for school.

We also hit a good old-fashioned county fair. I should show pictures of how disgusting our feet were, but I will spare you. They had the traditional rides, animals and treats. We realized that we have never taken our kids to a fair. It actually brought back memories of Aunt Joyce taking us kids to the fair every summer (but only on wristband days :) )

The week ended with Alan venturing home with Ellie and Owen, while I rode with the grandparents to Pennsylvania to take Katelyn to camp (which she is still loving). 


 I had to run in the morning to work off all the ice cream we ate.
 Katelyn, Ellie and their cousin
 Leaving the aquarium
 The top of the lighthouse on a not-so-clear day. The picture below is the prism glass thing that allows the light to shine miles and miles away. It is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. They can't figure out how it was made to replicate it, so they were very particular about not touching it.

Ellie petting a very new baby chick.

No comments: