Monday, May 03, 2010

Nashville Flood 2010


WOW! What a weekend. (by the way, this is Sherry posting since Amy is without power) I have never seen anything like it. It started on Saturday when it rained and rained. Amy and I went out anyway for a girls night. I stayed the night (which it rained and rained some more)and on Sunday morning, Alan woke us up saying that the river was flooding and we needed to start moving the furniture upstairs. As I looked out the window I could see that it had risen over the path and was slowly coming up to the houses. After moving the furniture, Amy and I along with the girls went to check out the situation. We walked down to a friends' house that lives along the river. Water was starting to come up into their backyard. At that point we knew that it was getting more serious. Went back to the house and moved more furniture. With all of our furniture moved, all we could do was watch and pray for the water not to come to the house. Watching it was the scary part. The water rose so fast and the current was so fast. People that wanted to stay in their houses were convinced to leave and were rescued by a boat. By late afternoon it had completely surrounded the houses on the river, the houses across the street from those and the houses in the cul-de sack. Luckily the rain finally stopped around 5:00. Even though the rain had stopped, as the night went on, the water was getting closer and closer to the house. It filled about half of the backyard and the side yard. While we were hoping and praying that the water wouldn't reach our house, Katelyn kept asking if she could get her bathing suit on. . .GROSS! If only she knew what was in that water! Some of the neighbors whose house had gotten flooded bunked in with us for the night. They are still without power (could be a couple of days) and without cellphone service. If you need to reach them and can't, try calling me. I am sure I will be out there a lot this week. Please keep everyone who was effected by this disaster in your prayers.





1 comment:

Allison Jo said...

I have been thinking about all of you! You are in my prayers along with your neighbors! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Love you all... Happy Mothers Day Amy!

Love,
allison